In many countries, systemic corruption impedes market development, drives away investment, and erodes the legitimacy of law and political leadership. Improving governance and eliminating corrupt practices are priorities for improving business performance, establishing rule of law, and ensuring that democracy delivers for citizens.
CIPE mobilizes the private sector as a leading force in reducing bribery, extortion, and other forms of corruption. CIPE looks beyond individual illicit transactions to address the root sources of corruption. These include complex and contradictory laws and regulations, discretionary power of public officials, lack of transparency in public procurement, inconsistent enforcement, and absence of competitive markets. CIPE’s programs build institutions and reinforcement structures that reward honesty and transparency and punish abuse.
Anti-Corruption Programs at CIPE
CIPE addresses both the demand side and the supply side of corruption through programs that:
- Mobilize the private sector to raise anti-corruption standards and advocate for reforms.
- Streamline regulations and reduce implementation gaps to limit opportunities for corruption.
- Improve corporate governance to strengthen firm-level integrity.
- Facilitate collective action to level the playing field and coordinate company efforts.
- Equip small and medium-sized enterprises to resist bribery and meet requirements of global value chains.
- Access to Information
- Business Association Development
- Combating Corruption
- Corporate Citizenship (CSR)
- Corporate Governance
- Democratic Governance
- Informal Sector & Property Rights
- Legal & Regulatory Reform
- Middle East & North Africa
- Latin America & the Caribbean
- South Asia
Anti-Corruption Compliance: A Guide for Mid-Sized Companies in Emerging Markets is a guidebook for emerging market firms (and their multinational partners) who want to implement anti-corruption compliance systems that will allow them to compete in global value chains.
Combating Corruption: A Private Sector Approach
(English, Arabic, French)
From CIPE's Partners:
Fighting Corruption Through Collective Action: A Guide for Business from the World Bank with input from CIPE and other organizations.
Anti-Corruption Manual for SMEs
from the Hills Program on Governance.
Business without Corruption: An Action Guide
from the Information Science for Democracy Foundation.