Opportunities & Careers
Position: Evaluation Officer
Reports To: Deputy Director, Operations
Scope: This position is responsible for oversight of all aspects of CIPE’s ongoing program evaluation efforts. This includes developing and overseeing implementation of effective methods and procedures for conducting evaluations of CIPE’s programs and projects. It also includes development, research and writing an ongoing series of evaluations, research papers, articles, case studies, and other studies on CIPE programs and themes. These papers and studies are intended to assess the effectiveness and impact of CIPE programs, enhance understanding of the CIPE program and provide insight into methods for advancing CIPE’s mission.
- Create an annual evaluation plan as well as a plan for additional studies and papers for review and approval by CIPE senior management.
- Conceive, plan, research and write evaluations, case studies and other research papers to include:
- CIPE’s Annual Evaluation Report
- Periodic long term organizational evaluations of CIPE as a whole and the impact of its programs and projects
- Evaluations of CIPE’s thematic approach, as well as individual country and regional studies.
- Perform evaluations of CIPE projects and programs, both those implemented by CIPE staff as well as those involving CIPE partner organizations, including final grant evaluations.
- Review and assist program officers and partners in the development of specific evaluation plans for inclusion in proposals to current and potential funding sources and the CIPE Board of Directors.
- Coordinate and oversee external evaluations commissioned for specific CIPE projects
- Assist in design of evaluation tools/instruments and sampling strategies and provide high quality technical guidance on CIPE programs.
- Train staff in evaluation methodology and procedures.
- Assist program officers with planning and conducting actual evaluations of completed projects.
- Ensure evaluation and data collection activities are completed as needed by CIPE programs.
- Ensure compliance with donor requirements for evaluation.
- Represent organization at relevant meetings and events.
- Identify evaluation best practices in other NGOs which can be utilized by CIPE.
- Disseminate results of evaluation activities to staff as well as appropriate partners
- Other projects and duties as assigned.
Position requires a College degree at least 5 years experience in international development experience, preferably with experience in democracy assistance, program implementation or evaluation.
Excellent research, analytical and writing skills; knowledge of evaluation methodologies; knowledge of development strategies; knowledge of regional development peculiarities; excellent interpersonal skills; and the ability to operate relatively independently. Fluency in written and spoken English is essential. Reading and speaking ability in other languages (Russian, Spanish, French, Arabic) is preferable as is the ability and willingness to travel, (sometimes too difficult and potentially dangerous locations).
To apply for this opportunity, please send a resume or CV and cover letter, writing sample and salary history to email@example.com; subject “EO-[YOURLASTNAME]”. Applications will be accepted and interviews will be conducted on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
There is a two-page limit on writing samples. Submissions demonstrating writer’s ability to synthesize information are preferred. Applications submitted without writing samples will not be considered.
CIPE offers a salary competitive with other international non-governmental organizations and an excellent benefits package. Applicants must be legally able to work in the United States; CIPE is unable to sponsor employees for work visas.
CIPE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Deadline for submitting application
The Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) strengthens democracy around the globe through private enterprise and market-oriented reform. CIPE is one of the four core institutes of the National Endowment for Democracy and a non-profit affiliate of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. Since 1983, CIPE has worked with business leaders, policymakers, and journalists to build the civic institutions vital to a democratic society. CIPE’s key program areas include anti-corruption, advocacy, business associations, corporate governance, democratic governance, access to information, the informal sector and property rights, and women and youth.
Reporting to the Communications Director, the Communications Manager is a vital element of the communications team, assisting in the management the Communications team and working with department and CIPE program staff to maintain and produce quality, relevant, and timely resources and information about CIPE programs and as part of CIPE programs.
- Publications/Products: to oversee and implement the production (electronic and hard copy) of all communications products (quarterly newsletter, annual report, etc.) and program-generated products (books, guides, articles, informational brochures, etc.). To ensure accuracy in all products by working through CIPE’s impact evaluation process. To cultivate and maintain relationships with vendors (designers, printers, etc.) involved in the production process.
- Strategy and Outreach: to provide input to the Communications Director for the development and implementation of CIPE’s communications strategy and in expanding the scope of CIPE’s outreach (to new audiences) and deepening the content of CIPE’s outreach.
- Management: to manage department staff with guidance from CIPE Communications Director.
- Procedures: to help ensure that CIPE staff are aware of communications policies and procedures and to provide them with the tools to comply with these requirements. To improve and adapt these procedures as necessary.
- Standards: to ensure that CIPE staff are aware of CIPE’s standards (messaging, logo use, language style, design style, branding, etc.) and assist them in complying with these standards.
The Communications Manger should be enthusiastic about strengthening democracy around the globe and about sharing CIPE’s success stories in supporting private enterprise and market-oriented reform. Background knowledge of CIPE’s areas of work is helpful. The Communications Manager should be comfortable in cross-cultural interaction across language barriers, and should be personable and work well with a team. Other qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree in international relations/studies, communications, journalism, or other relevant subject plus 5-7 years of job-related experience.
- Superb writing skills and experience in editing.
- Experience with managing staff and/or interns.
- Attention to detail.
- Strong organizational skills, adaptability, and flexibility.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite.
- Experience with Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator (desired but not required).
- Languages: ability in a second language such as French, Spanish, Russian, or Arabic (desired but not required).
To apply for this opportunity, please send a resume or CV, cover letter, writing sample and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org; subject "CommsMgr-[YOURLASTNAME]".
There is a two-page limit on writing samples. Submissions demonstrating writer's ability to synthesize information are preferred. Applications submitted without writing samples will not be considered.
Applications will be accepted and interviews will be conducted on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
CIPE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Internship Opportunity at the Center for International Private Enterprise
Communications, Media, and Outreach
Summer 2014, Washington, DC
The Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) strengthens democracy around the globe through private enterprise and market-oriented reform. CIPE is one of the four core institutes of the National Endowment for Democracy. Since 1983, CIPE has worked with business leaders, policymakers, and journalists to build the civic institutions vital to a democratic society. CIPE’s key program areas include anti-corruption, advocacy, business associations, corporate governance, democratic governance, access to information, the informal sector and property rights, and women and youth.
This internship is an opportunity to gain experience in communications, conference preparation, list management, media, and outreach by supporting CIPE’s communications team. CIPE’s communications team provides direction and support for CIPE-wide communications as well as program-specific outreach. As CIPE identifies new audiences and maintains contact with its existing network, crafting the right message to reach the right group remains a key objective.
Intern will be responsible for the following tasks, in coordination with the communications director and communications team:
- Monitor media coverage of CIPE and CIPE’s partners and programs.
- Create and maintain a tracking system, log and database for CIPE current media coverage.
- Expand CIPE’s contact list(s) for traditional and new media outlets through research and information gathering.
- Track and analyze CIPE’s media outreach.
- Work to further develop and connect CIPE target audiences with appropriate contact lists; update lists for specific audiences (including media) to streamline outreach process.
- Other communications and outreach tasks as assigned by the communications team, including writing, editing, and other communications support.
Candidates should be enthusiastic about international development and democracy and about communications and outreach activities. An undergraduate student or young professional in communications or international studies preferred, but others are also encouraged to apply. Impeccable organizational skills are required, as well as an ability to work with a team. Familiarity with Leadership Directories, international press and media, and media outreach preferred. Foreign language skills are desirable.
The position entails a minimum 20 hours per week during the summer at CIPE’s headquarters in Washington, DC; exact days and hours are negotiable. This is an unpaid internship, though a small stipend will be provided to cover transportation.
Please send a cover letter, résumé, and brief writing sample
(subject line: LAST NAME communications/media intern) to:
No phone calls, please.
Internship Opportunity at the Center for International Private Enterprise
The Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) strengthens democracy around the globe through private enterprise and market-oriented reform. CIPE is one of the core institutes of the National Endowment for Democracy. Since 1983, CIPE has worked with business leaders, policymakers, and journalists to build the civic institutions vital to a democratic society. This internship is an opportunity to gain experience while supporting CIPE’s Knowledge Management program.
- Research and write blogs on topics related to democracy and market economy
- Compile and coordinate news and other content for an international network on free enterprise and democracy
- Attend events of interest in the Washington DC area
- Organize content for wikis
- Data entry duties for project catalogue, Intranet and other responsibilities as assigned
Candidates should be enthusiastic about the role of private enterprise in international development, entrepreneurship, and democracy. We will consider undergraduate students with junior standing or above, who are pursuing a major in social science, international studies, or public policy. Preference will be given to graduate students. Strong research and writing skills are required. Flexibility to work in a fast paced office environment, ability to prioritize tasks and complete projects on time as well as willingness to learn new concepts are a must.
The position entails a commitment to work 20-30 hours per week from late May through mid-August 2014 at CIPE’s headquarters in Washington, DC; exact days and hours are negotiable. This is an unpaid internship.
Please send a cover letter, résumé, and brief writing sample (5 pages maximum) by April 4, 2014 to:
(subject line: LAST NAME-KMI) to:
No phone calls please!
- Democratic Governance
- Access to Information
- Combating Corruption
- Business Association Development
- Corporate Governance
- Legal & Regulatory Reform
- Informal Sector & Property Rights
- Corporate Citizenship (CSR)
- South Asia
- Middle East & North Africa
- Latin America & the Caribbean