Democracy and Governance: Key Foundations to Sustainable Development
On Thursday, September 15th, Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC) and CIPE co-hosted an event in recognition of the International Day of Democracy. Following each of its quarterly Board of Directors meetings, MCC works with other partners to convene conversations of importance to the development community. This event provided a brief update on the recent MCC Board Meeting and brought together thought leaders to discuss the role of democracy in development.
Sustainable development and reducing poverty are primary objectives of the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Panelists demonstrated how the SDG goals that pertain to democratic governance are vital to reducing poverty, creating jobs, boosting economic growth, and making sure that development is sustainable. They discussed how strong democratic institutions, a robust rule of law, and inclusive economic policies that create a level playing field for everyone are essential elements of a development agenda with lasting impact.
- Greg Lebedev – Chair, CIPE Board of Directors
- Beth Tritter – Vice President, Department of Policy and Evaluation, MCC
- Chris Maloney – Managing Director, Selection, and Eligibility, MCC
- Alicia Phillips Mandaville – Vice President for Global Development Practice, InterAction
- Andrew Wilson – Managing Director, CIPE
Watch the Full Video: