The Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) strengthens democracy around the globe through private enterprise and market-oriented reform. CIPE is one of the four core institutes of the National Endowment for Democracy. Since 1983, CIPE has worked with business leaders, policymakers, and civil society to build the institutions vital to a democratic society. CIPE’s key program areas include Enterprise Ecosystems, Democratic Governance, Business Advocacy, Anti-Corruption & Ethics and Trade.
Position: Program Officer, Latin America and the Caribbean
Reports to: Regional Director, Latin America and the Caribbean
CIPE is seeking a full-time, Washington D.C. based Program Officer, in the Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) department. As part of a team reporting to the Regional Director this position is responsible for providing management, programmatic, and communications support. The ideal candidate will be able to handle multiple detail-oriented tasks with limited supervision, have a demonstrable interest in economic development and democratic and market-oriented reforms in the LAC region, and work well with a widely diverse staff.
- Assist in development of annual LAC program strategy.
- Lead development and design of projects to help build democracy and private-sector development in the LAC region.
- Manage day-to-day oversight of projects including: effective regular communications with project partners, financial and programmatic oversight of partners and contractors, and regular monitoring and evaluation of impact.
- Monitor political and economic changes in assigned countries and the LAC region and assess possible impact on current or potential CIPE programs.
- Assist in identifying new donor organizations and developing potential proposals for funding.
- Adhere to appropriate CIPE, NED and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce policies and procedures.
- Collaborate with multiple CIPE departments to achieve programmatic goals, including Communications, Grants and Finance, Knowledge Management, and other regional teams
- Demonstrate ability to supervise, develop, manage, and mentor junior program staff
- Candidate should have a minimum of five years’ experience in and understanding of the region, its business issues, and/or CIPE and its operations
- Bachelor’s degree in one the following fields is required: International Relations, International Business, Economic Development, or Public Policy
- Master’s degree, or the equivalent experience, in International Relations, International Business, Economic Development, or Public Policy is preferred
- Fluency in written and spoken Spanish required
- Excellence in writing, reporting, and English composition
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Demonstrated ability to develop, establish and maintain good relationships with international partners and donors
- Demonstrated critical thinking and analytical skills
- Good financial acumen and ability to develop, manage, and monitor project budgets
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong attention to detail and ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Strong project management skills
- Strong presentation skills
- Proficiency in MS Office, specifically MS Word, Excel, and Access
- Must be willing and able to travel frequently to the region
To apply for this opportunity, please send a resume or CV and cover letter, English writing sample and salary history to email@example.com; subject “POLAC-[YOURLASTNAME]”.
There is a two-page limit on writing samples. Submissions demonstrating writer’s ability to synthesize information are preferred. Applications submitted without writing samples will not be considered.
Applications will be accepted and interviews will be conducted on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
CIPE offers a salary competitive with other international non-governmental organizations and an excellent benefits package. Applicants must be legally able to work in the United States; CIPE is unable to sponsor employees for work visas.
CIPE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.