Position: Program Assistant, Middle East and North Africa
Reports to: Program Officer, Middle East and North Africa
Job Description: The Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) strengthens democracy around the globe through private enterprise and market-oriented reform. CIPE is one of the four core institutes of the National Endowment for Democracy and an affiliate of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. Since 1983, CIPE has worked with business leaders, policymakers, and civil society to build the institutions vital to a democratic society. CIPE’s key program areas include enterprise ecosystems, democratic governance, business advocacy, anti-corruption & ethics, and trade.
The Program Assistant will be assigned to CIPE’s Middle East and North Africa division and will be responsible for providing programmatic and administrative support for CIPE’s refugee livelihoods program focused on food entrepreneurship in Turkey.
This position will be based in Washington but involve occasional travel to Turkey.
- Provide day-to-day administrative and programmatic support from CIPE’s Washington home office for the implementation of a U.S. government-funded livelihoods project for Syrian and other refugees and host communities in Turkey, focused on entrepreneurship development in the food sector.
- Assist in the design and development of program activities and related communications efforts.
- Assist in writing and compiling quarterly reports, proposals, and budgets. Assist with the development of M&E processes and tools.
- Assist in drafting sub-awards, contracts, and modifications.
- Communication and coordination with sub-awardees and contractors.
- Create and maintain program, financial, correspondence, and contract files, both in paper form and electronically.
- Process and track payment requests, travel expense reports, documents for signature, narrative and financial reports from partners, etc.
- Handle international travel arrangements, events, and local meeting logistics.
- Monitor current events and U.S. relations in relevant countries and contribute to assessments of the impact on ongoing and planned CIPE projects.
- Adhere to appropriate grant and office procedures, and CIPE policies.
- Provide support to other CIPE MENA programs as called upon.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in International Affairs/Development or related field required.
- 1-2 years of administrative office experience.
- Background in international affairs and/or the Middle East with an emphasis on socio-economic issues; background in entrepreneurship development a plus.
- Professional experience in the food industry a plus.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills in English.
- Superb writing abilities.
- Ability to work in a team environment and independently with minimum supervision.
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrated interest in MENA.
- Strong coordination skills.
- Articulate, well-organized, and is able to take the initiative and lead on small projects as needed.
- Ability to prioritize and complete multiple, detail-oriented tasks simultaneously with limited supervision in a fast-paced environment.
- Good financial acumen and ability to assist with project budgets.
- Arabic and/or Turkish language skills preferred, but not essential.
- Strong Computer skills, proficiency in MS-Office, specifically Word, Excel and Outlook. Strong internet research skills.
To apply for this opportunity, please send a resume or CV and cover letter, writing sample and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject MENAPA2-[Your Last Name]. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
There is a two-page limit on the writing sample. Submissions demonstrating writer’s ability to synthesize information are preferred. Applications submitted without writing samples will not be considered.
CIPE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. CIPE offers a salary competitive with other international non-governmental organizations and an excellent benefits package. Applicants must be legally able to work in the United States; CIPE is unable to sponsor employees for work visas.