Position: Program Assistant, Maghreb, Middle East and North Africa
Reports To: Senior Program Officer, Middle East and North Africa (Maghreb)
The Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) strengthens democracy around the globe through private enterprise and market-oriented reform. CIPE is one of the four core institutes of the National Endowment for Democracy. Since 1983, CIPE has worked with business leaders, policymakers, and journalists to build the civic institutions vital to a democratic society. CIPE projects focus on five areas: enterprise ecosystems, business advocacy, democratic governance, anti-corruption and ethics, and trade facilitation.
The Program Assistant for the Middle East and North Africa is responsible for providing program and administrative support to CIPE’s programs in the Maghreb.
- Create and maintain well organized program files that meet CIPE’s requirements and keep the program team organized and on track.
- Handle international travel arrangements, events, and local meeting logistics
- Process and track all portfolio-related administration processes, including grants, payment requests, field office liquidations, travel expense reports, financial reports, etc.
- Participate in regular phone and email exchanges, in French and English, with grantees
- Analyze partners’ quarterly narrative and financial reports, as well as project outputs, for quality, consistency and follow-up.
- Help the Senior Program Officer track project activities and finances using CIPE’s internal systems, as well as create additional project management tools as needed.
- Assist in writing and compiling quarterly reports, proposals, and budgets
- Support the SPO in development of project proposal narratives and budgets.
- Conduct country- and region-specific research on key topics at the request of the SPO.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in International Affairs, International Development or related field required.
- Strong French (speaking and reading in particular) required. Arabic language skills beneficial.
- 1-2 years of administrative office experience.
- A background in international affairs and/or the Middle East and experience with political and economic issues highly desired.
- Superb and demonstrable English writing abilities.
- Financial acumen and ability to handle budgets.
- Capable team player, but also able to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Good at thinking critically, juggling many tasks and prioritizing.
- Motivated, proactive and organized, ready to take the initiative on tasks big and small.
- Strong inter-cultural and interpersonal skills
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please send a resume or CV, cover letter, one writing sample, and salary history to email@example.com, subject MENAPA-Maghreb – [Your last name]. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
There is a two-page limit on the writing sample. Submissions demonstrating writer’s ability to synthesize information are preferred. Please be sure to include a sentence explaining the context of the sample you select. Applications submitted without writing samples will not be considered.
CIPE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. CIPE offers a salary competitive with other international non-governmental organizations and an excellent benefits package. Applicants must be legally able to work in the United States; CIPE is unable to sponsor employees for work visas.