The Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) strengthens democracy around the globe through private enterprise and market-oriented reform. CIPE is one of the four core institutes of the National Endowment for Democracy and an affiliate of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. Since 1983, CIPE has worked with business leaders, policymakers, and civil society to build the institutions vital to a democratic society. CIPE’s key program areas include enterprise ecosystems, democratic governance, business advocacy, anti-corruption & ethics, and trade.
The Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist will work with the Director and Deputy Director of Evaluation as part of a team to provide monitoring and evaluation (M&E) technical support for CIPE projects and programs, with particular focus on projects funded by the Global Alliance for Trade Facilitation (GATF). The GATF initiative is a multi-donor (including USAID), multi-site and multi-partner program designed to promote trade facilitation in developing countries using innovative approaches that engage the private sector and governments. As a cross-organizational partnership, the M&E Specialist is expected to be able to work collaboratively with evaluation staff from other organizations participating in the GATF initiative, and work independently with the CIPE trade team to assist the team with development and management of evaluation plans in alignment with GATF and CIPE evaluation policies using logic models, logical frameworks, theories of change, and the identification of appropriate objectives and indicators, as well as the collection and analysis of project data for performance and impact.
Major M&E Specialist responsibilities include:
- Provide technical assistance to CIPE staff for the management of evaluation and data collection efforts as assigned, including: monitoring and evaluation plans, analyzing project proposals against the overall evaluation strategy, grant guidelines and criteria; and survey and focus group protocol development and implementation.
- Work to support building a culture of evaluation based upon CIPE evaluation strategies and tools consistent with CIPE’s objectives and strategic plan.
- Support evaluation and data collection efforts as assigned, including: data quality assurance and data management, implementation of sampling plans, development of survey and focus group protocols, and implementation of in-house evaluation research.
- Participate in developing, researching and writing for an ongoing series of evaluations, research papers, articles, case studies, and other studies on CIPE programs and themes as assigned, including tables, graphs, and interpretation of results in written form.
- Assist in developing and provide training and technical assistance to internal staff and partners to build monitoring and evaluation capacity.
- Work with CIPE staff to support their efforts to develop joint projects, grants and/or contracts that further private sector and democratic development.
- Assist evaluation department staff in day-to-day management of monitoring and evaluation project responsibilities as assigned.
- Provide on-site monitoring and evaluation technical assistance to selected projects as assigned, including occasional international travel to project locations.
- Establish and maintain relationships with donor and international organizations as well as evaluation communities of practice in collaboration with the Director and Deputy Director of Evaluation to create linkages with CIPE strategies and to monitor evaluation trends.
M&E Specialist minimum qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required in international development, economics, public policy, political science, evaluation or related field, including formal training in research methods and program evaluation; Master’s degree preferred;
- Knowledge or successful past experience conducting research or evaluation, preferably cross-culturally;
- Program evaluation and research skills using both qualitative and quantitative data, including data analysis and presentation using charts and graphs;
- Commitment to ethical and professional standards of research and evaluation, including work with potentially vulnerable populations;
- Strong project management skills, including skill at prioritizing and completing multiple tasks;
- Familiarity with or an ability to learn regional politics, culture and U.S. assistance programs;
- Attention to detail and ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment;
- Experience in teaching or training, especially based upon principles of adult professional education;
- Strong Proficiency in MS Office Suite;
- Demonstrated strong critical thinking, problem solving and analytical skills;
- Excellent written, oral and cross-cultural communication and presentation skills;
- Excellent English writing and verbal skills;
- Effective interpersonal and teamwork skills and the ability to work independently, and as part of a small team; and
- Ability and willingness to travel.
M&E Specialist other desired qualifications include:
- Statistical background, including familiarity with bivariate and multivariate regression;
- Ability to develop and manage a data project management database;
- Developing and validating tools and conceptually meaningful custom indicators;
- Knowledge of different research designs, including RCTs, surveys, focus groups and elite interviewing;
- Knowledge of process mapping as used in reengineering projects to track and design reforms;
- Experience with logic models, logframes, theories of change, and results frameworks;
- Prior experience working with international donor agencies and knowledge of their preferred reporting methods and tools for M&E;
- Experience with or knowledge of working with a gender lens in program development and evaluation.
Please send cover letter, resume or CV, salary expectation and brief writing sample (no more than 4 pages) to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘M&EGATF [YOURLASTNAME]’ in the subject line. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
CIPE offers a salary competitive with other international non-governmental organizations and an excellent benefits package. Applicants must be legally able to work in the United States. CIPE is unable to sponsor employees for work visas. CIPE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.