Description: CIPE operates with the belief that economies prosper when women entrepreneurs have a voice in shaping laws and policies that govern their businesses. The Center for Women’s Economic Empowerment (CWEE) works to capture best practices from CIPE’s 35-year history of partnering with civil society and the private sector to implement innovative and successful programs for women worldwide; brand and market successful models in women’s economic empowerment programming; and serve as an internal resource for staff working on women’s programs. This internship provides an opportunity to explore the role of private sector in emerging democracies and approaches to women’s economic empowerment. Specifically, the intern will support CWEE’s efforts.
Reports To: Center for Women’s Economic Empowerment leadership
Timeframe: Interns are expected to start by September 9, 2019 and commit a minimum of 20 hours per week. This internship is unpaid; a transportation stipend is provided.
- Develop familiarity with women’s economic empowerment programs and CIPE’s approach to democracy and market reform.
- Gain research, analysis, and communication skills.
- Enhance social media and digital communication skills.
- Gain a deeper understanding of the field of international development/nonprofit sector.
- Network and establish professional contacts by attending events held by CIPE and other Washington, D.C.-based organizations.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Researching, writing, and editing blog posts describing women’s programs in ways that highlight programs, thematic topics, and lessons from the field, as well as innovative practices drawn from other organizations.
- Organizing and maintaining a database of CIPE projects on women’s entrepreneurship and empowerment and contributing to data collection.
- Participating in the research for grant proposals to support new and expanded women’s programs.
- Attending and reporting back to the team on selected internal meetings and external events.
- Assisting team members in responding to requests for information regarding CIPE’s women’s programs.
- Updating and maintaining resource materials for the team listserv and internal database.
Qualifications and Requirements:
Undergraduate juniors or seniors, or graduate students demonstrating interest in women’s economic empowerment initiatives and the positive role that private sector can play are encouraged to apply.
- Previous interest and experience in at least one of the following: women and leadership, women in business, women’s entrepreneurship, women and management, training, research methods, civic education and related areas of work.
- Demonstrated interest in international issues related to democratic transitions and the role of civil society in promoting democratic reform.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English is required; proficiency in a second language a plus.
- Interest in gaining skills in qualitative and quantitative data analysis.
Application Instructions: To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter, and a brief writing sample (2-3 pages) to email@example.com, using the following format for the subject line: LAST NAME – CWEE.