The Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) strengthens democracy around the globe through private enterprise and market-oriented reform. CIPE is one of the four core institutes of the National Endowment for Democracy and an affiliate of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. Since 1983, CIPE has worked with business leaders, policymakers, and civil society to build the institutions vital to a democratic society. CIPE’s key program areas include enterprise ecosystems, democratic governance, business advocacy, anti-corruption & ethics, and trade.
Position: Evaluation Officer, Evaluation
Reports to: Director, Evaluation
This full-time, regular position is based in Washington, D.C. The Evaluation Officer will work with the Director of Evaluation as part of a team to provide monitoring, evaluation, research and learning (MERL) technical support for CIPE projects and programs, with a focus on projects requiring more rigorous evaluation based upon donor requirements or CIPE strategic initiatives. In addition to the National Endowment for Democracy (NED), CIPE has a growing portfolio of projects funded by U.S. and global donors and is seeking an experienced evaluator who can add to CIPE’s evidence-based approach to development. In addition to broad experience in program evaluation, this individual ideally would have expertise in data-driven approaches to demonstrating impact and would possess experience in working with program teams using evidence for learning and program improvement (adaptive management). CIPE’s portfolio increasingly encompasses gender-responsive programming and CIPE encourages candidates who have an interest and/or experience in gender evaluation.
• Manage the evaluation of a portfolio of projects using evidence-based and data-driven approaches based upon donor requirements and CIPE’s strategic initiatives.
• Lead evaluation and data collection efforts as assigned, including: data quality assurance and data management, implementation of sampling plans, development of survey and focus group protocols, and implementation of in-house evaluation research.
• Write high quality evaluation reports on CIPE’s evidence base and to meet donor requirements, including quantitative & qualitative data analytic products.
• Provide high quality technical assistance to project teams for implementing rigorous quantitative and qualitative data collection methods consistent with global human subjects’ principles and privacy laws and standards.
• Contribute to developing and provide training and technical assistance to internal staff and partners to build monitoring, evaluation, research and learning (MERL) capacity.
• Establish and maintain relationships with donor and international organizations as well as evaluation communities of practice to create linkages with CIPE strategies and to monitor evaluation trends.
• Collaborate with multiple CIPE departments to achieve programmatic goals, including Communications, Grants and Finance, Knowledge Management, and other regional teams.
• Demonstrate ability to supervise, develop, manage, and mentor junior program staff.
• Adhere to appropriate office procedures, CIPE, NED, USAID, and other donor policies and procedures.
• Master’s degree or equivalent experience required in International Development, Economics, Public Policy, Political Science, Evaluation or related field, including formal training in research methods and program evaluation.
• Five years’ experience conducting research or evaluation, preferably cross-culturally; including use of logic models, logframes, theories of change, and results frameworks.
• Program evaluation and research skills using qualitative & quantitative data, including data analysis and presentation using data visualization.
• Commitment to ethical and professional global standards of research and evaluation, including work with potentially vulnerable populations.
• Strong project management skills, including skill at prioritizing and completing multiple tasks.
• Experience or familiarity with a variety or U.S. and global donors and emerging trends in evaluation including evidence-based and learning approaches as well as global standards for evaluation (e.g., DCED or OECD standards; impact management project; social value).
• Detail-oriented and ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
• Excellent written English, oral and cross-cultural communication and presentation skills.
• Strong Proficiency in MS Office Suite and at least one statistical analysis program (e.g., R, Stata, SPSS, NVivo and others).
• Effective interpersonal and teamwork skills and the ability to work independently, as well as the ability to work in a team environment.
• Good financial acumen and ability to develop, manage, and monitor project budgets.
• Demonstrated critical thinking and analytical skills.
• Experience in teaching or training, especially based upon principles of adult professional education.
• Knowledge of specific content areas related to CIPE’s work (e.g., democratization, good governance, advocacy and policy reform, association capacity-building, civil society engagement, anti-corruption approaches, adaptive management, market and/or systems approaches, work in conflict or closing spaces contexts, and/or specific regional expertise).
• Experience with or knowledge of working with a gender lens in program development and evaluation.
• Ability to develop and manage a data project management database or evaluation platform.
• Developing and validating tools and conceptually meaningful custom indicators.
• Knowledge of different research designs, including RCTs, surveys, focus groups and elite interviewing.
• Knowledge of process mapping as used in reengineering projects to track and design reforms.
To apply for this opportunity, please send a resume or CV and cover letter, English writing sample and salary history to email@example.com; subject “EVALOFF [YOURLASTNAME]”
There is a four-page limit on writing samples. Submissions demonstrating writer’s ability to synthesize information are preferred. Applications submitted without writing samples will not be considered. (Use as needed).
Applications will be accepted and interviews will be conducted on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
CIPE offers a salary competitive with other international non-governmental organizations and an excellent benefits package. Applicants must be legally able to work in the United States; CIPE is unable to sponsor employees for work visas.
CIPE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.