Description: CIPE’s Middle East and North Africa (MENA) team is committed to supporting democratic and market reform-oriented civil society actors across the region to play a leading role in building democratic institutions. The intern will be responsible for assisting the CIPE MENA team in researching current events related to the economy, entrepreneurship, and democracy in the MENA region and advancing the MENA department’s external communications.
Reports To: Program Associate and Associate Program Officer, Middle East and North Africa Team
Timeframe: Interns are expected to start by September 9, 2019 and commit a minimum of 20 hours per week. This internship is unpaid; a transportation stipend is provided.
- Gain understanding of issues related to challenges of democratization and development in the MENA region.
- Acquire knowledge in international relations and democracy promotion.
- Develop marketing and social media expertise through the curation of the department’s social media presence and writing blogs and other communication materials.
- Develop and improve communication skills (writing, listening, oral) in a team setting.
- Learn about jobs in international development and clarify professional goals.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Maintain the department’s social media presence under the supervision of MENA staff.
- Research and track current events in specific countries and create daily news digests for program staff.
- Perform research to provide background information on various issues related to economic reform and democratic governance.
- Attend events on relevant topics at CIPE and around DC.
- Provide copyediting and writing support.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Qualified candidates will be currently enrolled undergraduate/graduate students, or recent graduates, pursuing a degree in Political Science, International Studies, Economics, Journalism, Communications, and/or Middle Eastern studies.
- Proficiency in Arabic or another Middle Eastern language preferred, but not required; demonstrated interest in the Middle East required.
- Experience working with social media platforms, especially Twitter, highly desired.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work both with a team and independently.
- Enthusiasm and willingness to learn about international development and democracy.
Application Instructions: To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter, and a brief writing sample (2-3 pages) to firstname.lastname@example.org, using the following format for the subject line: LAST NAME – MENA Communications.