The Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) strengthens democracy around the globe through private enterprise and market-oriented reform. CIPE is one of the four core institutes of the National Endowment for Democracy and an affiliate of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. Since 1983, CIPE has worked with business leaders, policymakers, and civil society to build the institutions vital to a democratic society. CIPE’s key program areas include enterprise ecosystems, democratic governance, business advocacy, anti-corruption & ethics, and trade.
Position: Associate Program Officer, Global Programs
Reports to: Program Officer, Global Programs
Scope: CIPE is seeking a full-time, non-exempt Washington D.C. based Associate Program Officer. This position is responsible for providing programmatic and administrative support for CIPE’s Global programs on thematic topics covering democratic and market reform, business advocacy, anti-corruption, digital economy, technology and digital rights, and other timely issues. Candidates should be enthusiastic about the role the private sector plays in economic development and democratic governance.
- Work in close collaboration with Global Program Officers and the Director of Global Programs to coordinate project deliverables and activities for the Global portfolio.
- Monitor key events and trends related to CIPE Global’s portfolio (including but not limited to open internet, digital economy, anti-corruption, civic tech, and women’s economic empowerment) and analyze how they create opportunities for advancing CIPE’s mission and goals.
- Draft reports, cumulative assessments, programmatic proposals, blogs, articles, and other documents for internal audiences, donor agencies, and CIPE promotional use.
- Prepare and monitor proposal budgets, contracts, and grant agreements, in coordination with Global staff and the CIPE Finance and Grants Department.
- With appropriate guidance, manage and actively cultivate relationships with relevant stakeholders, including local partners, international organizations, consultants, and donors to coordinate program activities, events, public outreach, and travel.
- Build and maintain an understanding of CIPE’s broader work in different regions by regularly interacting with regional staff.
- Build and promote CIPE brand through attendance at outside events and coordinating events relevant to CIPE core thematic areas.
- Assist in preparing responses to Requests for Information (RFIs)/Applications (RFAs)/Proposals (RFPs), as well as investigating unsolicited prospective funding opportunities.
- Maintain programmatic, financial, correspondence, and contract files in paper form and electronically.
- Process and track payment requests, travel expense reports, documents for signature, narrative and financial reports, grant and contract modifications, and other filings. Prepare routine documents such as grant agreements, consultant contracts, reporting documents for grantees, etc.
- Adhere to appropriate office procedures, CIPE, NED, USAID, and other donor policies and procedures.
- Contribute to an organization-wide culture of innovation, integrity, inclusion and respect.
- Collaborate with multiple CIPE departments to achieve programmatic goals, including Communications, Grants and Finance, Knowledge Management, and other regional teams.
- Correspond with partners, consultants, and other stakeholders to coordinate project implementation.
- Bachelor’s degree in one the following fields is required: International Relations, International Business, Economic Development, Finance, Political Science, or Public Policy; Master’s degree is preferred.
- Minimum 3 years of administrative or programmatic experience required; at least 2 years project management experience supporting international development programs preferred.
- Background in international affairs with an emphasis on political, economic or democracy development preferred.
- Excellence in English composition, research, analytical skills required.
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to manage multiple time-sensitive, detail-oriented tasks simultaneously with limited supervision.
- Demonstrated strong organizational, interpersonal, critical thinking and communication skills.
- Good financial acumen and ability to develop and monitor project budgets.
- Demonstrated strong critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong computer skills, MS-Office, WordPress, MailChimp, Social Media (Twitter), etc.
- Experience with civic or digital security technology preferred.
- School and/or work experience is desirable.
- Fluency in a second language (French, Arabic, Spanish) is desirable.
To apply for this opportunity, please send a resume or CV and cover letter, two writing samples and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org; subject “GLAPO-[YOURLASTNAME]”.
There is a two-page limit on writing samples. Submissions demonstrating writer’s ability to synthesize information are preferred. Applications submitted without writing samples will not be considered.
Applications will be accepted and interviews will be conducted on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please. CIPE offers a salary competitive with other international non-governmental organizations and an excellent benefits package. Applicants must be legally able to work in the United States; CIPE is unable to sponsor employees for work visas.
CIPE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.