Corporate governance is vital to the integrity of business operations and strengthens both the rule of law and democratic governance. At its core, corporate governance builds strong companies though improving relationships among investors, boards of directors, managers, and other stakeholders, but its significance extends beyond the boardroom. Weak corporate governance is linked to financial collapses, inability to attract investment, persistent corruption, privatization failures, weak property rights, and other challenges faced by countries around the world.
Improving corporate governance allows companies to obtain capital at lower cost, strengthens business strategy, clarifies accountability, enhances shareholder protection, and attracts quality employees. This is true not only for large, publicly listed companies but for other types of private and public firms. Good corporate governance is also crucial to the overall institutional health of countries because it creates demand for better public governance and prevents devastating economic failures.
CIPE assists with corporate governance reforms at every level to help improve the functioning of market economies and build democratic societies.
Corporate Governance Programs at CIPE
Through its programs and international partnerships on corporate governance, CIPE helps to:
- Educate the private sector and governments on the importance of sound corporate governance.
- Mobilize business associations to advocate for corporate governance standards.
- Promote transparent markets to ensure the basis for an effective corporate governance framework.
- Facilitate adoption of good practices by different types of companies, including familyowned firms, small and medium enterprises, and state-owned enterprises.
- Democratic Governance
- Access to Information
- Combating Corruption
- Business Association Development
- Corporate Governance
- Legal & Regulatory Reform
- Informal Sector & Property Rights
- Corporate Citizenship (CSR)
- South Asia
- Middle East & North Africa
- Latin America & the Caribbean