Business Association Development
Business associations – including chambers of commerce and trade associations – contribute to economic growth, development, peace, and prosperity. They play a key role in building inclusive entrepreneurship ecosystems and can bolster the ability of firms of all sizes to grow and create jobs. Through associations, the private sector can voice legitimate needs while engaging in a transparent policy reform process.
Voluntary, membership-based associations are microcosms of the democratic process, bringing entrepreneurs together to strengthen market economies. In order to be successful, they need strong internal governance, membership development, financial sustainability, and advocacy skills.
CIPE builds the capacity of associations as the independent voice of the business community. CIPE helps associations advocate for a more competetive economic environment. In countries around the world, CIPE and its local partners are proving that with an informed and participatory approach, business associations can elevate public-private dialogue and facilitate economic growth.
Business Association Programs at CIPE
Through its programs and international partnerships, CIPE acts to boost the capacity of business associations in these areas:
- Strengthen business associations through building sound governance and accountability to members.
- Promote best practices in association management through executive education, technical assistance, case studies, and toolkits.
- Facilitate public-private dialogue by uniting the business community around common issues and policy proposals.
- Provide program models such as the National Business Agenda to assists business associations in creating grassroots-driven campaigns that promote democratic and economic reforms.
- Educate businesses and policymakers on the importance of participatory policymaking.
- Democratic Governance
- Access to Information
- Combating Corruption
- Business Association Development
- Corporate Governance
- Legal & Regulatory Reform
- Informal Sector & Property Rights
- Corporate Citizenship (CSR)
- South Asia
- Middle East & North Africa
- Latin America & the Caribbean
The CIPE Guide to Governance Reform
(English, Russian, Spanish, French, Arabic)
National Business Agenda Guidebook
(English, Arabic, French, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Urdu)
Learn more about KnowHow Exchange, CIPE's mentorship program for chamber and association professionals from developing and emerging market countries.